Keyin has an updated mission to it's community
Last week, Jackie (our Captain) and I (Lucy - our Optimizer) went up to our Canada office*.
*We have a Canada office! While Jackie and I are based in our U.S. Headquarters in sunny Las Vegas, NV, we are also incorporated in Canada and have our creative team (and soon our development team) up in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Halifax and Las Vegas have somewhat random, but strong ties. There are a number of companies in Halifax who have spent time in Las Vegas developing their businesses, so there’s plenty of friendly faces! Our Canada office is based out of the Volta office. It’s a very cool co-working space that allows us to rub shoulders with some of our favorite Halifax startups and friends.
Our kick-ass Storyteller Sebastian Tory-Pratt is located in Halifax, and this was my first opportunity to meet him in person after a few months of doing remote work with him.
The purpose of this trip was threefold; do some intense strategy meetings, spend time together as a team and meet with new and old partners and friends in Halifax. Needless to say, I think we very much succeeded!
Monday was an incredibly productive brainstorming day, where some amazing ideas for the future of KeyIn were shared. We’re so excited to share these developments with our community of professional peers, vendors and stakeholders as we turn them from ideas into action over the next few months.
We’ve slightly altered our mission statement to better fit our vision of a company that does not just provide information to help purchasing decisions, but actually focused on the transfer of specialized information that helps people do their jobs better.
Our new mission; to accelerate the transfer of expertise between professional peers.
We also took some time to reevaluate our values, as were delighted to find that they still encompassed everything we hold important; Be Authentic, Be Synergistic, Be Transparent, Be Accessible. We defined and recorded some internal guiding principles that help us ensure that our business decisions moving forward are contributing to our mission.
By reassessing our mission and values, and defining our guiding principles it was amazing how quickly the right ideas for future features came to the surface! And boy, are we excited about the future! Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were all about fine-tuning ideas. There’s a lot of work ahead for us as we start executing upon these plans.
We were also blessed between all of the hard work to have the opportunity to hang out with some of the awesome people in Halifax.
Thank you, in no particular order, to;
- The amazing Delta crew on our Flight (we love free wine!)
- Katelyn from Vendeve for hosting us, supporting us, and putting up with us bombarding our shared office with post-it notes!
- Volta for providing a great workspace
- Charlotte from PACTA for all the support
- Dalhousie University
- Our incredible KeyIn user Andy Howes (thesimtech) for all your amazing insight and support
- Everyone from the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (special shout out to Martin and Carly)
- Jeff Stockhausen from the National Research Council
- The Center for Women in Business for making us feel like superwomen.
- Stillwell Beer Bar (and also their Beer Garden) & Stubborn Goat Beer Garden for having a great beer selection!
- The Old Apothecary Bakery for having the BEST brownies and a much needed coffee fix
- Lucy & The KeyIn Team
Here are some of our favorite pictures from our trip:
Day 0: Settling in for the long flight!
Day 1: The strategy meetings begin
Day 1: Relaxing by the waterfront
Day 2: Beers and feedback session with one of our users; Andy Howes.
Day 3: Team Building over Ribs